“One wonders what magic charm there is to the Round-Up, which will get you like it does; which will have thousands of people walking out to the grounds and then sitting on those hard boards from as early as 9 in the morning until the show starts at 2 in the afternoon, all of that in order to secure good seats.”
Here are the results of the 1910 Round-Up (all listed residences of winning contestants are in Oregan). Bronc riding: Bert Kelly, Pine Creek, first; Ernest Cannon, Long Creek, second; Dove Anderson, Pine Valley, third. Wild horse race: John Spain, Telocaset, first; Walter Seale, Arlington, second; Bill Ridings, John Day, third: Sid Seale, Arlington, fourth, and Jim Clark, John Day, fifth. The team roping event winners were Guy Hayes, Pendleton, and Roy Moss, Wenana.
Pony express race: Sid Seale, first: Fred Spain, Telocaset, second: Walter Seale, third. Relay race: Fred Spain, first; Roy Kelly, Pine Creek, second. Ladies relay race: Ella La Zinka, Pendleton, first: Venus Jones, Heppner, second. Men’s cowpony race: Carl Powers, Pendleton, first; Guy Hayes, second; and B.E Keeney, third. Ladies’ cowpony race: Mrs. Ed Myers, Pendleton, first; Roda La Zinka, Pendleton, second; Venus Jones, third.
The Round-Up of 1910 was such an outstanding success that the Idea of making it an annual event took root in the minds of the Association directors. Financial assistance was received from local businessmen and other Citizens. The committee then purchased a 15-acre parcel of land for $5,000. The new Round-Up site was within easy walking distance of Main Street (remember, town folks in those years walked to work and to stores, and the young ones walked to school).
A building engineer, J. P. Heinie, was hired to make the land survey, lay out the grounds, and superintend the grading of the track. Charles Cole and W. A. Storie were the building contractors. With a force of fifty men (all local residents) and thirty teams of horses, the ambitious project got under way. A wooden, covered grand- stand with seating capacity for some 5,000 spectators went up, and so did bleacher sections to accommodate around 10,000. Then barns, corrals, pens, and fences were erected, and shade trees planted. Upon completion, the whole setup was deeded over to the city of Pendleton.
Many of the Round-Up board directors (who served without pay) also acted as chairmen of special committees. For instance, one director, Lee D. Drake, was in charge of publicizing the big event. To that end, a publicity bureau came into being. The bureau’s efforts included distributing such items as advertising posters, pictures, stickers, folders, souvenirs, buttons, pennants and hatbands; but their greatest success in publicizing the Round-Up stemmed from the wholehearted cooperation of the news media and railroads. The late, great Eddie McCarty (who for years transported bucking horses to Pendleton, and in 1918 won the steer roping there) once observed that the Round-Up was the best publicized rodeo in the world.
Click page 3 to continue …